Sunday, June 23, 2013

Creative Outlet

Digital Scrapbooking is a fun and creative outlet I discovered (again) last January. I first explored the hobby 5 years ago about the time my grandson, Zachary, was born. I was having a hard time locating supplies back then and the software I knew of was very expensive. So...fast forward 5-years and the availability of online materials and user-friendly, affordable software is phenomenal, and I have a new hobby.

This is what started it all...I was making cupcakes for Abbey's 12th birthday and came across a video on YouTube where the demonstrator made cupcake toppers using My Memories Suite Software. As shown above, I got the flags made pretty quickly and from that point on I was hooked!


This is the first actual digital scrapbook page I made. I was finishing up on FaceBook before running out the door to a very important birthday pedicure appointment - Abbey's first, when I saw a posting from My Memories about a kit titled Beauty Parlor. I grabbed up the kit, made sure I had my camera with me, and ran out the door. That night I had my first layout.

Since that time I've been acquiring kits, learning new techniques, making layouts, organizing materials, meeting folks in digital scrapbooking circles on FB and in online storefronts, participating in Speed Scraps (which don't require you to be speedy), and looking into PhotoShop Elements software for some things that can't be done(yet)  in My Memories Suite.

Folks outside my family won't care much about my digital scrapbook pages...and that makes perfect sense considering this is a hobby that allows you to document your life in a beautiful and personalized fashion.Key word there: personal. The test for me is easy...when I look at a layout I've done and get that 'I really love that page' feeling - I know I've captured the memory/event/photo just right. Digital Scrapbooking makes me feel good...the whole process from the creativity involved in the layout to the final product that has preserved a memory - a moment in time.

As I'll be showing you here, my favorite scrapping projects involve everyday life. We'll remember the big events - it's the day-in, day-out activities that get lost easily yet make up so much of our lives.

This looks like a great place to start.
Our family is large and we often grab a bite to eat at the local CiCi's Pizza where they can seat us easily, it's inexpensive, and for the kids' sake...it's PIZZA. The plaza where it's located is often the backdrop of family snapshots. Here's my granddaughter, Alexis, just being cute.


My grandson, Matthew, lives in Texas. I jumped on a couple of photos his dad posted since I don't get very many.

Here's my youngest son, Chris. He's a big Wesker fan and I made this page for him as a surprise for his birthday.

Here's another of Matthew. Such a cutie!

This was done for an "All About Me" challenge on a scrapbooking site.

This is a layout featuring my daughter and son-in-law. We were at a church carnival and while the weather was picture perfect, the ladybugs were enjoying it as much as the people. They were everywhere!

My 15-yr old son is working at the local Boy Scout camp this summer. They had a camp staff weekend, a camp staff week, and then finally camp. This layout was a speed scrap featuring Chris as he arrived for the first camp staff weekend.

This layout is titled "Abbey's Locket." Abbey, my youngest daughter, lost 2 of her grandparents the year she was born. She received a locket for her birthday and she keeps pictures of her maternal grandmother and paternal grandfather.

Speaking of Abbey, here she is...this too was done for a speed scrap. Aside from the fact that she's not big on pink, this layout captures her pretty well.

This is our youngest grandson, Zachary. He was a prince at his preschool's Valentine's Day party.

This is definitely one of my favorites. I took rapid-shot photos of my husband and youngest son while we were at lunch one Saturday afternoon.

This is our middle daughter who celebrates a birthday near St. Patrick's Day. It's her adopted holiday. Just had to give her a pocket full of wishes here.

Another favorite. These are 3 of my kids at the local park.


That's a good bit for now. I'm trying to get layouts set up here so I have a place to direct others to when the need arises. And, of course, truth be told...I also like showing off my kids :-)  

No comments: