Saturday, December 29, 2007

"To Resolve or Not To Resolve" or "Baby Steps"

Hmmm....didn't 2007 just get started? I can't believe it's time to hang it up. Say "Adios!" Usher out the old and ring in the new.

Now, along with "Auld Lang Syne," Champagne (Sparkling Cider?), and counting down the seconds, there will be plenty of New Year's resolutions being made.

At my advancing age I view New Year's Resolutions as a teenager might view Sesame Street. It was fun once but I'm so beyond all that now! Sounds like a lot of "Bah Humbug," I know. That my friends, comes from far too many New Years' and an even greater number of resolutions. Resolutions that were "ushered out" far earlier than the year in which they were made.

Change rarely comes easily. I think the transition from one year to the next is enough change at one time. Why add to the stress? Besides, I need to make major changes. Maybe 2008 will be the year I resolve to realistically look at the changes I need to make and then begin taking the steps necessary; baby steps to be sure...but steps nonetheless. How incredible it would be to wake up Wednesday morning and automatically prepare a healthy breakfast and have everyone eat it, take my vitamins, clean up the kitchen and continue the day in an organized, neat, healthy, and efficient manner.Then have it continue day after day, week after week...and always.

Seriously, I'm really trying to imagine this - carrying it to the classroom for our homeschool days, to the grocery store, to dinner preparation, doing laundry, cleaning house, exercising, etc... I really can't see it! That must be where the baby steps come in.

So, ok, does this mean I now have a New Year's Resolution? So instead of giving up on resolutions I guess I'm just being less ambitious. More realistic. I don't know if that would be maturity, cowardice or assumed defeat.

Gimmicks - we don't need more gimmicks. Just resolve to take care of whatever needs taking care of. Do it today. Do it Monday. Choose any random day you'd like. Don't give the power to January 1st - the power is in you, the power is in me. Ditch the calendar - make the changes that will make you happier, healthier, whatever it is you need to do. Take a step, then a second. Twirl around and celebrate. Baby steps - first one, then another. No matter the day; let's just (resolve to) get it done.

1 comment:

dcorvette5 said...

Reading this leads one to believe you are older than your oldest brother. If you think of it, each day is a new year beginning. I've learned to look at it and live it that way. You should embrace change and look forward to anything new in life. If you do this, the rest of what your were speaking of and are seeking will fall into place and become a fact. Regardless, if we don't speak again before, have a Happy New Year, new visions and all.